Sunday, April 13, 2008

Slow Sunday

I like Sunday mornings. They're kind of slow and relaxing as opposed to the hectic Monday-Saturday schedule. Get up, take the kids to church, then religious ed while I work on some type of sewing activity in the church hall, gab a little w/ people I know, come home, make my coffee/eat my bagel or toast, then surf the Net. One thing I've been trying to savor the past couple of weekends is Robin's blog. Every Sunday morning I "accompany" her and her DH on a virtual cruise :) . We never go anywhere, but I"m very happy to view the sights of her recent cruise. If you haven't been to her blog, you can check out her amazing pics (and her equally amazing knitting!) of her vacation. After I type this post, I'm off two check out her last two days.

On my cape story a few days ago, the baseball mom asked me yesterday if I had priced it out. I told her yes, but it would likely be cost-prohibitive. At *least* $60 for Malden Mills fleece ('cuz it wouldn't be on sale), then double that figure for labor. $120 wasn't in her budget, and I didn't figure it was. She told me she'll go buy a blanket. Yes, that's the thing to do. I don't work cheap. Also, I'm really not in the mood to make garments/coats for anyone but myself and my family--backlogged as it is! Personally, I like Susan's (2BSewing's) response which was something like only doing sewing for family but teaching others how to sew. I'd much rather give sewing lessons than do sewing for others.

Speaking of sewing, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel! My daughters show very little interest in sewing. Okay...DD#1 NOTHING! DD#2 slightly. However, DD#2 signed up next year for Creative Sewing and it wasn't at my insistence. We went through all the 9th grade electives she could take and that's what she chose. Definitely not my idea for her because both my girls seem kind of negative about sewing at times. So I thought that was kind of cool.

DD#1 just bought a new I-Pod for herself. She told me yesterday that she wanted me to make her a cover for it. I told her to make one herself ;) ! And make some for her friends so she could sell them and make a little money on the side. No interest. (Sigh...) You'd think money would be a motivating factor but no, it isn't.

Anyway, my floral purse is almost done. I was working on attaching the rose, rosettes, and leaves this morning. Now I just have to make some tiny filler rosettes. It's funny how some hobbies seem to be so complementary. Several years ago I took the three Wilton cake decorating courses. My favorite kind of cakes to decorate are wedding cakes with beautiful floral arrangements. I would make all kinds of icing flowers too. My instructor taught us some basic floral arranging principals in cake decorating and that info is coming in handy for this purse. The only sewing left is attaching the lining to the bag and that should be a snap. I'm hoping to get a pic up by tomorrow.

Okay. Now I'm off to my "cruise".

3 comments:

Robin said...

Thanks so much for the nice mention!! I appreciate that.

Don't give up hope on your daughters wanting to sew - my mom made all my clothes until I was 7 or 8. I was completely against it and wanted store bought clothes, because I wanted to look like everyone else. I think I hurt her feelings because she gave up on sewing for me (or anyone.) Now I wish I would have learned more from her when she wanted to teach me!

Meg said...

Keep us posted on DD's sewing. My DD says she will NEVER sew and that she will NEVER have a dog, two things I do/love. We'll see...

2BSewing: said...

Hey, glad to see you gave an honest quote on the cape. Some folks don't realize that handmade products are unique, special, and time-consuming to make. And yes, I am smiling from ear to ear that you mentioned me in your blog.

There is hope for DD#2. I am happy for you. The best thing you can do, is let her try her hand at sewing. I know I struggled with sewing in Home Ec, but look at me now...sewing like there's no tomorrow. :)

Oh and I really do believe that having other hobbies...those experiences...eventually helps with sewing. Keep up the great work that you do. Happy sewing...Susan