Thursday, July 3, 2008

Just had to get it done.

Finished my shirt a few minutes ago and took a pic. I'll review it some time in the next few days. I went with the cap sleeves after reading a comment by Mary of Sew Fast Embroidery She said she made the version with cap sleeves. DD#1 liked the sleeves, DD#2 didn't, I didn't either initially, but after Mary said she went with the cap-sleeve version, that's what I did. Don't you just love the Internet for opinions? :)


Here's the top (personally I think it looks better on me than the Phat Chick who is simply a kind of fat version of me). My overstuffed DTD looks like she's 4 months pregnant and I'm DEFINITELY not!




DD#1 had me nip in the sides near the horizontal seam below the bust. Said it was too tentish and she said nipping it in there would be more flattering. I guess she's right (how did that happen???). I removed about 4" total width from the side seam allowance in that area tapering to the original seamline at the underarm and about 4" below the horizontal seam. I'll take pics of it on me before doing my review.

Kept thinking about Robin's new coverstitch while working with my top. Oh...what I would give to have a coverstitch machine. But I need a new serger first! And who said we sew to save money? I don't think it quite works that way, does it!

Maybe a little more sewing over this long weekend that will feel like it's a total of 5 minutes long. Happy 4th of July to my fellow American sewing buddies!

ETA--what is it with husbands? DH made that comment again, "Why are you always sewing shirts like that?" I'm not LOL. It's only the second time I've made a top from this pattern. The first one was the long-sleeved version. I think it's a reference to a loose-flowing style which echoes maternity wear. Although it's pretty obvious I'm not pregnant. Some day I'm going to ask him what top he likes from my pattern stash. However, I think I already know the answer. It's going to be, "None of them!"

7 comments:

Meg said...

Looks great! I always take my DD's suggestions when it comes to things I make. Don't know what I'll do when she goes off to college!

Anonymous said...

Love the top! I was not crazy about this pattern till I saw your version (which I really like). Nice job.......

2BSewing: said...

Wow...beautiful! Your version should be on the pattern envelope. I thought about getting a coverstitch machine, but I really don't have any space for one and I'd probably only use it 25% of the time. I think the serger is the most important machine after a SM.

My DH was saying the similar thing about my loose tops. Men! lol!

Happy 4th!

Alexandra said...

Looks wonderful! I love the shirring and the neckline.

Keely said...

Looks good! 4" - is that 4 inches?! That's a lot to have to take out - I bet it made a big difference to the tentishness.

Maryissewfast said...

It's beautiful!!! I love the black accent. I even wore mine to work today in honor of your success! I'm sure it looks much better on you than the mannequin! Mary

Maryissewfast said...

Hi Kat...tracking back to your question "is it flat in Oregon?" Yes and No...depending where you are in the state you can get some pretty flat stretches and then again, we got some great hills too. We have an annual bike ride called Cycle Oregon that is a week event. My boss rides the entire Oregon coast from Washington to California every year, but I don't think I'm ready for that! (Besides, somebody has to stay home and work!!!) Mary