Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What Not To Wear!

Teenagers! (said with rolled eyes) The things they will do and think it's okay. I admit to not being fully alert in the morning when my girls leave at 6:30 to get on the bus in the morning. Yesterday DD#1 left with a jacket on and what I thought were loose blue shorts. For some reason I didn't even notice her shoes.

She comes home, arrives at the front door, and I ask her, "Where did you get *THAT* outfit???" (She was wearing a royal blue, thigh high dress with a black belt and black heels.) It did look very nice. She replied, "It's yours!" It turns out she took a dress that has a matching black and royal blue jacket, a belt from my black/white suit, put them together and got the look she wanted to for Spirit Week at school. However, the dress was mid thigh, and I know my dress is knee length. So I ask her, "Why is my dress so short?" She proudly (yes, I did say proudly) turns back the hemline to the reverse side which reveals clear plastic packing tape holding the entire hem in place. Yikes! How tacky. IMO, that's bad as stapling your hem in place. I told her that someone had to see it. Geez, didn't it crinkle when she sat down? Maybe they even heard it. Guess I should be happy she didn't get some insane idea and cut my hem.

She was promptly sent to her room to remove the packing tape from my dry-clean only dress, checky for dirt and oil spots, and put my belt back on my black/white suit. IMO, that is definitely a fashion faux pas. Taping a partial hem in an emergency is okay. Taping the entire hem on someone else's dress is not.

Anyway...DD#2's jeans are going fine. She had her first fitting yesterday, and I pinched out some vertical darts where some fabric needs to be removed. The crotch area (at this point) looks fabulous. I was so pleased. Currently the legs are being redesigned with some flare as per her preference. So far so good. DS#1 and DS#2's jeans are cut and ready to be stitched. Mine still have to be cut, but all the alterations have been transferred to the pattern. The only thing I want to double check is the front crotch area.

4 comments:

Cennetta said...

Oh. I so envy you. I wish I could spend the better hours of the day sewing and not working. It's great that your DD likes your style. Whatever I like, my DD hates or at least she says she hates. ;-)

Kat said...

When you're retired, I'll be working LOL. Then I'll be envying you! I wouldn't say she likes my style, but I had to smile because she certainly was eating crow that day. Imagine...wearing your mother's clothes! That should be an embarrassment for any teenager :) !

Rhoto said...

AND, maybe "Mom" was surprised & shaken-up (positively) at how your clothes could be put together so differently...
You could have FUN with DD by asking her in the future... "DD, whatdoyathink? Could I do something different here?"...
Warm greetings
Rhonda in Montreal (PR.com)

Kat said...

Rhonda, I'm afraid all I'd get is a grunt LOL. Quite the moody teenager my 15-year old is! I hoping for better conversation when she's in college. Isn't that when the seeds of appreciation are planted? Think they start to sprout around 21. :)