Sunday, August 9, 2009

My New Baby!!!

There she is! Isn't she a beauty?!?! My new Janome CP1000. I've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting to bring her home! Since last October in fact. She was on layaway at the dealer and they took care of her during that time.

She took her first baby steps today working on DS#2's travel baseball shirt. RTW sizing is so crazy. The Adult Small t-shirt I ordered for him for his tournament was just the right size, but all were on the smaller side of the range. The kids that got Youth Small or Medium looked like they had a baby's shirt, no kidding. So the new baseball jersey was an Adult Small and the sleeves were between the elbows and wrists, and the hemline of the shirt was between his crotch and knees, closer to his knees actually. So I pinned a new hemline and sleeve hemline to his liking. I took off 4" of length on the sleeves and 3 1/2" of length on the shirt hemline. I have to be careful not to take off too much because the shirt has to stay tucked into the baseball pants.

So here is the shirt:

It really looks much better on him. He was beaming when he put it on after coverstitching the new hems and felt great. My new baby did NOT disappoint!

Below is the closeup of the coverstitch on the sleeve hem. Isn't that exciting! Some pretty stitching indeed. I can't wait to look into the binders and fellers. I checked out Debbie Cook's tutorials on the accessories so maybe with some birthday or Christmas money I'll splurge and get some accessories. Sometime during the next 3 weeks I'm going to sit down and review Debbie's tutorials and try some things with my CP1000. The fact that it has narrow, wide, and triple stitch is just a super thing to me.


ETA...End result. A happy boy!

That's it for machines. Maybe I'll save up for a new serger at some point in time, but my current serger is doing it's job. Jet-air threading really appeals to me though. One thing about my new machine-- I was very surprised to find that the CP1000 has tiny screws for the needles like my serger. Hmmm...that's not my fave feature by far. Those screws are so tiny. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

Okay. Enough gushing. Back to housework but the break to post this so worthwhile! No longer do I have to lust over Karen's and Robin's coverstitching endeavors. I've joined the club :) .
ETA #2...All right. So what was I doing this evening? Geek stuff. I read the Coverpro manual for about a 1/2 hour and studied the pics and text. Good night type of reading for us sewing lovers :) .

11 comments:

Robin said...

Woo-hoo!! Welcome to the club!! You've got my machine's big brother as I just have the 900CP. I don't mind mine being a "one trick Annie" though - simple is good for me - less things for me to mess up! LOL.

Rhoto said...

Oh, sure!! And I'm officially menopausal in three (3) months... NO new babies for me :( !! Tee! Hee!!
Congratulations!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

gwensews said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your sewing room!

Dawn said...

Yea!!! Fun!!!

Tamara said...

Congrats! You are going to have so much fun with your new addition. Those binder attachments are worth their weight in gold! I just got one and LOVE it. Have fun playing!

Nancy K said...

Enjoy! I've had one for a couple of years now and I love it.

Meg said...

Congrats! I'll be eager to see how you like it.

Rhoto said...

Good Night!! "How Do You Thank Someone Who Has..." read and written from one blog article to another and another and another!!
WOW!! Thank you for soooo many nice, encouraging comments.
Can you smell your virtual flowers?? ;) ;)
Soft hugs,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

The kitty is adorable. I used to breed persians, starting getting into the shows and everything and it just become more trouble then it was worth. Your son looks handsome in his shirt!

Karen said...

Congrats on both your new babies!

At least (maybe) baby Jake won't leave large amounts of his minky hair all over your sewing?

I love my coverstitch. I love all my machines, but the newest always gets the most attention.

2BSewing: said...

Congrats on the new addition to your sewing ensemble. Wow...you have a lot of patience. I could not have waited as long as you did. ;) By now, I don't have to tell you how much fun you'll have and how more RTW your garments will look. I'd be interested to hear what accessories you're thinking of.

Sorry for being so out-of-touch in the sewing blog world. I'm catching up with my reading. I do hope my sewing mojo will come back to life. :)