Monday, July 13, 2009

The Christening Outfit, Part I: FEAR!

Today I started the Christening outfit for my niece's son. I'm making it from her wedding dress along with a pillow using the bow from the back of the dress and a clutch purse.

So...there is no fear like the fear of cutting into a wedding dress! I purposely put off making the outfit until now because the growth of a baby can vary. I feel confident about the size I'm using, but actually taking the scissors to the gown is kind of maddening. Once you clip, there's a point of no return LOL.



Here's the pattern piece ID stage:


Pieces cut out next to pattern:

Scared as heck looking at the dress:


Feeling the fear...and doing it anway:

Christening outfit fabric panels on left, clutch lining on right:


(Big sigh...) The What-Have-I-Done Feeling when examing the dress back LOL!



The dress has several panels in the back. I think I'll only need two, and will use the upper bodice for the clutch purse and pillow. The other panels can be saved for a Christening gown for a girl. And what is it about snap tape??? That stuff is hard to buy in short lengths. I saw Internet stores selling 30 yard minimums on up. Uh...$36 or more for snap tape? I'd have enough for 5 lifetimes! Thankfully I found a short length on Ebay.


Okay. Now I'm going to trace off the pattern pieces. That's the good thing about this project! The pieces are all nice and small which makes for quick tracing.

7 comments:

Rhoto said...

Good night!! Look at the stretch position you're sittin' on the floor with!! I'M inpressed!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (whose legs ONLY touch the floor when I'm standing ;) )

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad my beautiful dress is getting a new life! I know it's in great hands!!! Thank you soooo much for this!!!

Meg said...

Wow, I am very impressed with this endeavor! Cutting into a wedding dress—gulp! Keep us posted.

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

Okay skinny minnie. You are going to do a fabulous job and I'm sure it will be a blessed occasion. That is so symbolic that you are using her wedding gown. So sweet.

gwensews said...

Gooc luck. I'm sure you'll turn out an exquisite piece that the owner of the dress will cherish.

Keely said...

Scary stuff - but you'll do great! Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Cennetta said...

Wow! What a special re-fashion.