Friday, November 28, 2008

Quick Jacket Update

DS#1's Oregon jacket is moving right along. I was working on the front cargo pockets today and almost have them finished. I tell you--the fleece is ultra thick and a royal pain to stitch. So many layers that it makes my machine balk. Between the seam allowances (yes trimmed!) and fabric, there are up to 6-8 layers of fleece in certain places. If stitching them on proves an almost impossible task, I'll consider leaving them off and creating side seam pockets. Once I get the cargo pockets on, the rest of the assembly should be a piece of cake.

This issue is my own doing. I knew I'd have this problem as fleece is not a recommended fabric for this pattern. Sometimes it is better to leave certain things off due to fabric differences so I'll see tomorrow how the pockets go. And how determined I feel to make it work.

With all the time I'm investing in this jacket, the dreaded phrase, "I don't know if I like it" haunts me. If my son says that when he tries it on, he's in his room for a month! ;)

2 comments:

Rhoto said...

"...he's in his room for a month!"
You're a HOOT!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

Maryissewfast said...

You go girl! At one point I just stopped sewing for Sara...I sewed more for her friends, prom dresses and such because Sara insisted on RTW. She did get jealous at times and pout "but you are MY Mom"! Well yeah, but she didn't want "homemade". Now she sees it as designer (and I still sew for her friends!) Mary