Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Summer's Second Wind

I'm getting my second wind right now. The summer projects are moving right along at an incredibly quick pace for me (being the slow sewer that I am it's kind of amazing).


My current projects, a summer top and a summer dress, are all cut out, interfacing is on the appropriate pieces for each project, the dress is partially underlined with Palmer/Pletsch Sheer Interfacing, and my darts are pinned for the dress and ready to be stitched. Both projects will be worked on at the same time.


Here's a pic of the dress front and back pieces partially underlined with interfacing. I would have pinked the bottom edge of the interfacing if it mattered, but it's not going to matter with this fabric. I underlined this area because I want it to be "crisp and fresh" all day, without the major wrinkled look. Seat belts, sitting in the car--that will make the dress look a little messy if I don't.




Also, I went to my local brick and mortar store today. There was this fabric that Ursula, the owner, showed me a couple of weeks ago. It is a fabulous knit print, but at the time I didn't know what I would do with it. Then I saw the patternless top featured in the July 2008 issue of Threads and knew exactly what the fabric would be perfect for. It just needed contrasting fabric, so Ursula picked out a cream-colored linen for the contrast band. She mentioned brown, but that's not my color. Cream will look better against my skin to match the print.

Here's a pic of the fabric and top:

The print fabric is like an EOS buttermilk and the creamy one is linen. I'm really excited about this top and so is Ursula. She said she had to see it when it was done. Now I'm off to work on things so I can get back to sewing.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love both of these fabrics. I can really see you wearing that tropical print - it's perfect for your coloring. Congrats for getting your second wind.