Saturday, February 16, 2008

Recipes and Invisible Zip Triumph!

Here are the recipes and/or recipe sources, ladies! I hope you enjoy them if you make them. One might ask why I would make homemade candy/candy bars but the answer is simple. My son has a severe peanut allergy and I vowed several years ago he would not miss out on life's little pleasures. Including candy bars. Although some people look at food allergies as a negative (especially since they can be deadly), I want my son to view the positives of it. And fresh, homemade candy is definitely a delight.

Caramel corn. I use the Jolly Time recipe found at this link: http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/candies/baked-caramel-corn-g.html

Craisin clusters. Melted chocolate melted with your method of choice. I bought a tempering machine years ago but when I need things quick I don't use it. Simply craisins (or raisins) mixed with chocolate and poured into molds.

3 Musketeers. The nougat/candy bar recipe is found inTodd Wilbur's book, More Top Secret Recipes. I was going to post it but remembered about those copyright laws... One caveat to this recipe. A candy thermometer and heavy duty stand mixer are a needed for the nougat.

If I'm making Milky Ways, I have made my own caramel. However, this time I used the Kraft caramels. Where did I ever get my caramel recipe? I can't remember it's been so long. However, I do know it's such a simple recipe, maybe four or five ingredients? But a candy thermometer is an absolute necessity.

Chocolate covered pretzels. The no brainer. Either I buy the small pretzels and dip them or crush up big ones and mix them with chocolate if I'm pressed for time which I was.

The fudge will wait until next weekend, but this is my fave fudge recipe:

Nestle Holiday Fudge:

2 Tb. butter
2/3 cp undiluted evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups (4 oz.) mini marshmallows
2 cups (12 oz pkg) milk chocolate, semisweet, mint, (whatever!) morsels/chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine butter, evaporated milk, sugar and salt in medium, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Stir in marshmallows, morsels/choc. chips, and vanilla. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into foil-lined 8" square baking pan; chill until firm. Cut int 1 1/2" squares.

As for the truffles? I bought the heavy cream but didn't make them. When I do, I'll post the recipe. That's in my book library downstairs. I always seem to forget there's only so much junk food one can make and eat in a week!

Now, about my invisible zipper triumph! I am elated to tell the world I finally found out what was wrong and caused me so much grief and aggravation doing invisible zips.

Way back when I went to my dealer to buy an invisible zipper foot for my Janome Memorycraft 3000. They sold me the generic, plastic foot which I now know is designed for YKK invisible zippers. Almost every time I'd do an invisible zip on something other than a lightweight, thin fabric, the time and grief spent on doing them wasn't worth the effort. I'd get broken zippers, crummy zippers, anything but a nice invisible zip. It made me wonder why people loved doing them so much.

This past week I tried again on my wool mini. And yet again I ended up with a jammed, broken zipper. In fact, I even started a thread on invisible zippers and why they disgust me found at this link on Patternreview:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=28354

Well, well, well! A big problem is that I've always bought Coats and Clark invisible zippers. They simply do not work very well with the generic plastic foot which is actually designed for YKK zippers. Yesterday I went to Walmart and bought one more C&C invisible zipper, and just by chance looked up and saw the Coats&Clark invisible zipper foot. Another plastic foot, but I bought it anyway. Let me tell you, this C&C foot which is specifically designed for C&C invisible zips make all the the difference in the world!!! It is absolutely amazing what the right foot can do. No wonder I had so many problems.

So now I feel prepared! In my stash are two invisible zipper feet for the two different types of invisible zips--C&C and YKK. I feel like a liberated woman! Just goes to show you if you want to get the job done you need the right tools.

...So here it is, Saturday night. Did I get my sewing goals done for the week? 2 out of 3 ain't bad. The black leather skirt is 98% done, the wool skirt is 90% done. Unfortunately, the dress didn't get cut out. But that's okay. It's a holiday weekend too :) .

3 comments:

Tamara said...

That is awesome that you got your invisible zippers figured out!

Anonymous said...

Glad you found out what was going on with the invisible zippers. They're my favorite type of zipper (with the right foot). Your candy looks great, too!

Jodi

kasizzle said...

Wow, thanks for all the candy recipes!