Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sewing with Half a Brain


That's right. I'm sewing with half a brain. Every have one of those awful colds where your sinuses are acting up, your head feels squeezed, your nose is plugged, and your swimming in mucous? Yep, that's what I got. Oh...and a sore throat too. Two kids with different colds gave me both at the same time.

I was at the gym yesterday and barely got through my weight workout. I spent 10 minutes on the treadmill and felt my eyes closing on the 9th minute so it was time to get off. Didn't even go today because this darn cold has me so tired.

Anyway, I've been struggling to sew a simple, easy-peasy tunic, the one from the S.E.W Everything Workshop book by Diana Rupp. One of my sewing students is making the tunic now, and I like to make the things before they do to work out any issues a beginner might have. There was one, but I'll write about it later.

It's a very basic tunic, mostly perfect for beginners. It's sized with plenty of ease and somewhat shapeless, but it does have much potential and is easy to alter. Darts will do wonders with this number which I plan to show to my friend tomorrow during our lesson. I'm made some typical alterations on this one, but have to remove side seam width, lower the front neckline, raise the armholes along with adding vertical fisheye darts or tucks on the next version. I want to show my students how they can elevate this style for a more shapely, figure-flattering look.

Here is the dress in two current states. Please bear with my sickly look--makeup is doing wonders at this point, and I can barely keep my eyes open. Pictures have been lightened to show contrast with the dark colors.

Oversized, flowing tunic, which actually would be a good beach coverup:

Here's a more fashionable version belted.
And now I'm going to bed, 'cuz this sick chick needs a rest.

4 comments:

angie.a said...

I like it with the belt & tights! I don't have that book (bc I figured it was for beginners). I keep picking it up in Barnes & Noble though, LOL. I hope you feel better soon!

HeathersSphere said...

Kathy, you look so fun and chic!

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

Looks good to me, and we've had the bug here too. I'll be so glad when this weather finally starts to warm up on a consistent basis.

Sigrid said...

Great look (just catching up reading).