Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Sneak Preview

A Sneak Preview....


Here's my version of the S4047 Retro 1950's swing jacket that I finished yesterday, and...



and here's the pattern photo...



I think it turned out very much like the pattern photo :) .

This is the outfit I'm wearing to church tomorrow. The red dress is a Vogue OOP circa 1990 or thereabouts. I don't know if the dress is finished. I was thinking about embellishing the waist inset, but am not sure at this point. When I first made the dress, I was 25. Now that I'm 41, I prefer a lower neckline instead of the jewel neck. So, my question is, do I want to put more into this dress? It is fine the way it is and not embellishing will give me time to start on another jacket/coat and dress.

A couple of things I love about this swing jacket:

1. The swing-ey back. If you examine the pattern illustration on the front left side of the pattern envelope, you can see that it is full in the back. Mine is too:



It can be casual, dressy, or contemporary. Here are some different views of the way I'll wear it:


3. It's roomy and comfy.


4. Very easy sewing IMO. However, the one thing that would bug up a beginner or advanced beginner is the notching on the collar. It's the kind of thing where a sewer has to stitch 5/8" on either side of a point and clip to the point of stitching. Then attach that piece to another. It requires precise sewing and I even had to restitch both sides a second time because I didn't like my first line of stitching. It's been a long time since I've worked on a project requiring precision.


5. It's lined. My lining feels "luxurious". Like a real RTW lining. It looks *special* on the inside :) .


Tomorrow I will work on a full pattern review for this jacket. There is much more info to add so stay tuned...

5 comments:

kasizzle said...

Wow! It's beautiful and it looks so chic over your dress!

Sigrid said...

Beautiful! Very versatile to be able to use it so very chic and casual. Love the chic look.

Cennetta said...

You look ultra chic! Work it, Mama! I like your alternative styles of wearing this jacket.

Sharon Sews said...

Fabulous! You look quite chic and classy wearing this no matter what you paired it with.

Linda L said...

It really looks great dressed up or casual. I have had this pattern in my stash forever, maybe time to give it a whirl.