Monday, October 20, 2008

Annoying mail order surprises.

Yesterday I finished DS#2's jacket so he could wear it today. It has been getting pretty chilly so getting it done was a must.

Here it is on the couch just finished:



And here it is on the happy, but sleepy-looking boy. He did NOT want to pose for the picture this morning!


I thought the jacket looked much better with the elastic sleeve hems, but he wanted NOTHING to do with them. I know better--if he doesn't like it, he will not wear it. Ever. Last May I seam-ripped the embroidery off the jeans I made for him over a year ago because he fought me tooth and nail on it. He didn't want any embroidery anywhere on his jeans, and he did not wear them all year. Now he's happy to wear them since I "fixed" them. And he's only 9! DD#2 is picky like that too. Heaven forbid if her clothes are too tight, are a little itchy, etc. This is my little guy that has to have every label cut off his shirts. I'm learning to respect his clothing wishes. He kept pushing down the collar too--doesn't want it sticking up near his chin.


Back to the post topic...today I received my fleece order from fabric.com. I am making the photo memory quilt for the softball fundraiser Chinese Auction basket and received some nice red, black, and white fleece which will be very suitable for this project. Here are the fleeces:




HOWEVER, I also purchased 5.5 yards of "curly-sided" fleece which I thought would be okay for 2 jackets and a pair of pants. It is not. It's not as stiff as a regular 200-weight Malden Mills fleece, it's thinner, and has much more drape than a MM fleece would have. It would actually make a good top, or a neck gator though as it is VERY soft on the inside. I'm mulling over what to do with it. Send it back? Or keep it. This was supposed to be fleece for DS#2's jacket and DD#2's softball pitching pants for winter in the cold garage. Decisions, decisions! It is absolutely not what I expected and was not a good surprise. It does have potential, though, for other projects, and I love the color.

Now it's time for me to get of my comfy chair and do some housework. I'll think about this dilemna while doing it.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Love the jacket!! I wonder if it would be worthwhile for you to try to return the other fabric?

Maryissewfast said...

I wondered about that curly sided fleece. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised and then other times...sorry this was one of those disappointing times. It is a beautiful color but Fabric.com says they are good about returns. Mary

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

I am so with you on the kids thing. They must all study from the same book of defiance. LOL. He is so adorable, and I love his haircut. I wouldn't have been too happy either. It's so hard when ordering fabric isn't it. It's not the same as touching and feeling before buying. Can't wait to see the projects, and I thought it was just me that never got anything accomplished but kids and housework. LOL

kasizzle said...

Love the jacket. My kids are the same way. I know it always works out better if they think they made their own decisions.