Sunday, February 20, 2011

Little Bit of This and That.

I've been working on a little bit of this and that lately. Below are two fleece tops I made, the blue and grey last Fall, and the red/black last month. I used the Textile Studio Santa Monica Tee modified to include armhole princess seams in the front and back. My goal was to make a more fitted fleece top. I get a lot of wear out of these because I love the feel of fleece on ultra-cold winter days. 'Ol Man Winter has been brutal this year! I used fleece purchased from Wazoodle, really wonderful stuff. Wazoodle is my go-to source from lightweight, good quality fleece. The color selection is fantastic and the superior fleece holds up well with no pilling like the cheapo stuff.

I'll do a review on the top with more specifics at a later date.


Here are some fleece sports headbands I made for my daughter and her friends. Same Wazoodle fleece using my self-drafted headband pattern.


Next up is DD#2's scarf. Here's the story on this funky print. We went to Target one night and she wanted to buy a scarf because her Varsity jacket is scratchy on her neck. She picks out a $12 scarf which looked flimsy to me, not a great print, but she liked it enough. Her money, so I kept mum about it.
Then we head to Walmart for a few odds and ends and to look at the quilting cottons for my niece's baby quilt. She sees this funky pink/black print and asks if I can make a scarf for her and return the Target one. Done deal. And more economical for her as well.

Last but not least, I was commissioned by DD#1 to make a hat for her at college. She goes to school in Philly and it is darn windy! It's brutal when it's really cold. So I made a plain prototype hat and sent it to her for a size opinion. I made the changes and whipped up the hat with the requested embroidery. Then I asked her if she wanted a matching scarf. I needed to know right away or my Wazoodle fleece will get used up for something else. She said yes, so now she has a cute set which will be shipped to her this week.
The last thing I did was make Version 2 of my Jalie Jeans. Don't have a pic of those yet, but will try soon. I also ordered cotton denim from Lura's for Version 3 with a fabric content of 96 cotton/4 lycra, but the was very disappointed with the color. I thought it would be darker blue. It's a lightish periwinkle. Oh well. I'll make the jeans and it will be good to work through a few more minor alterations tweaking each pair as I go. There is enough fabric to make two more pairs of jeans.
But it leaves me with this question. Why oh why is 96/4 denim so hard to come by in a great color? Is that asking too much? Where is 96/4 indigo or black stretch denim? If only we had access to the same suppliers as some of these apparel companies! Here's to wishful thinking...

2 comments:

gwensews said...

Those are some very nice projects. And the jeans in your last post are terrific.

KopyKat-Kim said...

Your kids are so lucky to have such a crafty mom and one who cares so much! I would have loved these!!