Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Interruption of Regular Scheduled Programming

For years I've been saying I need to paint my living room. The walls are horrible. The trim is just as horrible. Home dec has been sorely neglected since my kids took up so much of my time. So I was given a golden opportunity this week and said to DS#2, "Hey! How about we paint the walls this week???" He loved the idea since he loves working on home improvement stuff much like his Grandpa.

So, instead of working on my swimsuit, we went to Lowes today and picked out some paint. Then we went to the local lumber yard and picked out chair railing and new baseboard moulding at a fraction of the price Lowe's was chargin for it. My hardest worker is shown below working on our endeavor.

Tomorrow morning right after breakfast, he is applying the first coat of paint to the chair rails. I'll tape the chair rail line and paper below it while he's working on that so we can paint the upper portion of the walls when he's done. I spackled little divots and nail holes here and there during pre-painting prep, and tomorrow we'll pick up the moulding. Um...yes, I did wash the walls. The "dirty" area is from many years of little hands just above the couch line or when it was used as a play area for the kids. There's even an area near my front door that looks the same because of all four kids having used it as a timeout corner. I can super wash those areas and the darkness will never come out unless it's painted.

I'm using a lighter shade above the chair rail and will sponge the darker color on it. I hope it looks nice. Can't wait till DH and DD#2 see it! Here's to hoping it goes nicely with the new draperies I made and the slipcovers I purchased from Overstock.com. I was going to make the slipcovers but couldn't beat the price of the covers which were way cheaper than the material.

Painting this room has been on my New Year's Resolution list for the past 4 years! This is the year that it will actually happen, not just talk about it or wish it would happen all by itself.

4 comments:

Toocutedobs said...

I can not wait to see how your project turns out. I sat for years watching HGTV and dreaming of painting the house (the former house). One day I said quit watching the tv show ABOUT doing it and DO IT! It turned out great and I am sure yours will too.

Connie B said...

Our "girls" bathroom is on the list to be painted next week. Does your son want tocome over....?

Amy said...

Good for you guys! I've been meaning to paint the walls here too...but it's so easy to procrastinate!

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

He is too sweet! Ok...I'm not gonna lie, I'm worried if you are painting your dining room pink. I will wait to see the finished product. LOL. I'm sure it will be fabulous though!