Tomorrow morning right after breakfast, he is applying the first coat of paint to the chair rails. I'll tape the chair rail line and paper below it while he's working on that so we can paint the upper portion of the walls when he's done. I spackled little divots and nail holes here and there during pre-painting prep, and tomorrow we'll pick up the moulding. Um...yes, I did wash the walls. The "dirty" area is from many years of little hands just above the couch line or when it was used as a play area for the kids. There's even an area near my front door that looks the same because of all four kids having used it as a timeout corner. I can super wash those areas and the darkness will never come out unless it's painted.
I'm using a lighter shade above the chair rail and will sponge the darker color on it. I hope it looks nice. Can't wait till DH and DD#2 see it! Here's to hoping it goes nicely with the new draperies I made and the slipcovers I purchased from Overstock.com. I was going to make the slipcovers but couldn't beat the price of the covers which were way cheaper than the material.
Painting this room has been on my New Year's Resolution list for the past 4 years! This is the year that it will actually happen, not just talk about it or wish it would happen all by itself.