Sunday, May 30, 2010

Comments in Posts

I like the language conversion feature on blogger and use it when I remember how LOL. But the one thing that bugs me this Sunday morning is when I get comments in Chinese. It's just like going into a nail salon, having the employees speak in a language you don't understand at all, and knowing they might be saying you're the dumbest a$$ in the world, a big cheapskate who doesn't tip well, etc. Or the comments are likely general spam comments. Who knows.

If I could translate my comments, that would be nice. But if I can't, it's delete, delete, delete. Sorry, I can interpret some Spanish, but that's about it.

Does this bother anyone else?

Also, I've discovered I would be a terrible Board moderator. There seems to be a whole lot of "flamin" talk over at PR. Since I'm not "delicate" and pretty much bull headed with a hard hat, much of the things that go on don't bother me. Not all, but most. I don't know how the Moderators do it, but you know that saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."??? Really, if one doesn't like the trend of a thread and feels insulted, why not just leave? Sometimes things just keep going and going and going. Why not just get off the bike? Cut one's losses.

See, I'd be a terrible Moderator. If I found a thread to be contentious, I'd just close it. I wouldn't feel a need to explain why either. A private board, volunteer work, paid membership is optional, so if you don't like the rules, just leave.

I'm not a dumb a$$, but maybe just an a$$ with my view on this in general ;) .

Photos to come of the Christine Jonson Wrap Top!!! I LOVE it!

3 comments:

luckylibbet said...

I delete comments in Asian languages (and Russian/cyrillic) with absolutely no compunction. If the reader is good enough in English to actually read my blog, then they are proficient enough to comment in English as well. So I assume spam. Not that I've actually written a post in more than a year.

Re PatternReview - it's been getting steadily meaner for the last couple of years. I barely comment anymore, even though I'm with you and just stop reading when I think enough is enough.

TG for my sewing friends IRL!

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

I had a whole bunch of asian comments that ended up being spam. Loads of it. Just wanted to stop by and wish you a Happy memorial Day!

Sigrid said...

I once had such a comment translated by google translator, it's just spam. Some of my commenters know I can read German and comment in that language. Languagues I can't read at all like the Chinese ones I remove, just like comments with links to none-sewing related websites. They should seek other ways to advertise.